Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Remembering John Lennon: October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980

When John Lennon sat down with Rolling Stone’s Jonathan Cott for a nine-hour interview on December 5, 1980, he lashed out at fans and critics who went after him for taking a five-year break from music. But he also spoke about maturing as an artist, and talked about plans for a possible return to the road. Select excerpts from the interview ran in Rolling Stone’s  tribute to John Lennon the month after his death, but Cott never transcribed  all of the tapes: For 30 years they sat in the back of his closet.
Now, for the first time, Rolling Stone has published the remarkably candid interview in a special John Lennon tribute issue that hits newsstands this Friday and released audio clips of the Q&A on RollingStone.com. Here are some quotes from Lennon from the interview:
“Give peace a chance, not shoot people for peace. All  you need is love. I believe it. It’s damn hard, but I absolutely  believe it. But I’m not claiming divinity. I’ve never claimed  divinity. I’ve never claimed purity of soul. I’ve never claimed to  have the answer to the light. I’ve never made any claims. I only put  out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can, but only as  honestly as I can. No more, no less.”
-From “John Lennon Lashes Out at Fans”
“The hardest thing is facing yourself. It’s easier to  shout ‘revolution’ and ‘power to the people’ than it is to look at  yourself and try and find out what’s real inside you and what isn’t when  you pull the wool over your own eyes. Your own hypocrisy, that’s the  hardest thing, and that’s what I’m involved in.”
-From “John Lennon on Maturing”

“Give peace a chance, not shoot people for peace. All you need is love. I believe it. It’s damn hard, but I absolutely believe it. But I’m not claiming divinity. I’ve never claimed divinity. I’ve never claimed purity of soul. I’ve never claimed to have the answer to the light. I’ve never made any claims. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can, but only as honestly as I can. No more, no less.” (From Lennon's final interview, courtesy of Rolling Stone's Tumblr)



Yoko Ono
John Lennon: The Teamaker, by Yoko Ono Lennon. Please share your memories of John here:  love, yoko

Julian Lennon
Could not think of a better way to be honouring Dad today, than be Singing My Heart out, with his Love in Mind......

Sean Ono Lennon
Thank you for all the kind words. Let's all just pray for peace on earth. That's what he cared about most. Love, S.









Lennon fans celebrate his life in Tupelo (WTVA.com): Lennon once said "Before Elvis, there was nothing," so it's nice to see fans remembering him in Elvis's hometown.  


"What they want is dead heroes, like Sid Vicious and James Dean.  I'm not interested in being a dead fucking hero...so forget 'em, forget 'em." (From Lennon's final interview, courtesy of Rolling Stone)




“The hardest thing is facing yourself. It’s easier to shout ‘revolution’ and ‘power to the people’ than it is to look at yourself and try and find out what’s real inside you and what isn’t when you pull the wool over your own eyes. Your own hypocrisy, that’s the hardest thing, and that’s what I’m involved in.” (From Lennon's final interview, courtesy of Rolling Stone's Tumblr)

War is over, if you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment